Class/Fleet Captains - Guidance
Class/Fleet Captains at MRSC
The voluntary role of the Class Captain at MRSC is to support the Sailing Secretary in raising levels of participation in all areas of sailing activity throughout the club with emphasis on their particular class. The below are pointers/indicators as to how a class captain might choose to carry out their role but it is recognised they will all have their own "style" and focus as best suits their fleet.
Class Captains may have a role in the following areas:
- Maintaining effective communication between class members within the club. This may be by regular "newsletter", meetings, e-mail, telephone, carrier pigeon, website or other social media to suit.
- Keeping up to-date with club, national and international events that may be of interest to the fleet and encouraging and widening participation in those events.
- Playing a significant role in the management and organisation of club organised open events for their class.
- Advising the Sailing Secretary on all matters pertinent to their fleet and to represent the views/observations/ideas of their fleet members.
- Act as a point of communication between their club fleet and the national class association.
- Developing links with class fleets in other clubs within the UK and beyond.
- Increasing the number of club members sailing within the fleet and encouraging new members to sail within the fleet. This might be encouraging both juniors and adults.
- Encouraging fleet members to undertake appropriate duties for their experience and to support club activities both within and without the rostered duty programme.
- Helping organising social events for their fleet.
- Helping to ensure that sailing within the fleet is as accessible as possible to all members of the club regardless of age, ethnicity, gender or sexuality.
- Helping to ensure that sailing within the fleet is safe and to advise ROs and the Sailing Secretary of any class specific safety issues.
- Supporting/organising class training as part of the club programme or as identified/required by individual fleets.
- Collating fleet news and liaising with the club web-team to enable publication.